So you’re planning a startup.
You’ve got the idea.
You’ve got the vision.
You know where you want to be.
You know what you want to do.
But there are so many avenues open to you, so many routes to getting started that you just don’t know where to begin.
What was an exciting idea can suddenly look like a long, tedious process. Just thinking about it can make you scared.
If only it were easier. If only there was a roadmap. A signpost.
Well, there is. A really simple roadmap. You just need to know how to design it.
As it stands, the problem is you are looking too far into the future. When everything is far away, you just can’t see the detail that you need.
So, let’s break it down. As if you were planning a long road trip around Europe.
- Where do you want to be in five years time?
- In order to get there, where do you need to be in three years?
- In order to get there, where do you need to be in one year?
- To have any chance of that, what do you need to have completed in six months?
- Which means you need to have done what by three months?
Three months is a magic goal. It’s far enough away that we can make some real progress. But close enough to us that we still keep our eyes on the prize.
So let’s take action.
- In Week 12, I want to be at point A.
- So in Week 11, I need to have completed B.
- Meaning in Week 10, I need to have done C.
- …and so on, and so on…
- …in Week 1, I will be working on D.
- And that means today I need to work on E.
Work backwards from your eventual goal.
But only start getting detailed when you’re looking at a 12 week horizon. Any further and you’ll lose sight of what you’re trying to achieve. Any closer and you won’t make enough progress.
And once you’ve drawn out your roadmap, you will know exactly what you need to do for the next 12 weeks. You just need to stick to it.
If you’d like to take control of your time, escape the constant firefighting and build a business that works for you, the easy way to get started is to build a 12 Week Plan. My free planner shows you exactly what you need to do.